- 1/2 cup candied cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 3 Tablespoons rum or brandy
- 110g butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tbs dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated peel from 1 orange
- Melted butter
- Icing sugar
1. Mix cherries, raisins, and currants in a bowl with the liquor. Set aside 30-60 minutes whilst you complete the following steps.
2. Place butter, sugar and milk in a saucepan and heat until butter melts. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a small bowl, add yeast, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and water; leave until it foams. Place flour, salt, and cardamon in a bowl. Add yeast and cooled milk mixture. Stir.
4. Add eggs one at a time and blend well after each.
5. Add fruit with liquor, vanilla and grated orange peel. Blend well then turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until elastic.
6. Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 1/2 - 2 hours). Knead the air out, then form into a loaf shape with a crease in the middle. Brush with melted butter.
7. Place on a baking tray and bake in a fan forced oven at 200C. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
8. Cool and brush with more melted butter then sprinkle with icing sugar. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information (serves 12)
- Energy: 1360kJ
- Protein: 5.8g
- Fat: 9.8g (Saturated fat 6.0g)
- Carbohydrates: 52.3g (Sugars 25.8g)
- Sodium: 65mg