- 2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4c plain flour (500g) - Nonna recommends the "Italian 00" type which is finer and has a higher gluten content. This makes the dough more elastic and the bread less dense.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.5c warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of water
2. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, dissolved yeast, salt, 1 tbs olive oil and additional 1 1/2 cups of water
3. Mix the dough with a spoon until the mixture comes together into a ball and is not too sticky to touch (you may need to add extra water or flour so that when you touch the dough it doesn’t stick to your hands)
4. Pour the additional 1tbs olive oil over the ball and spread it over the dough
5. Cover the bowl with a teatowel and leave in a warm spot (in the sun, or next to a heater) for approximately 45min until the mixture doubles in size
6. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead out the air. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions
7. Roll each portion into a ball, then spread it into a pizza shape using your hands, to roughly the size of a spread hand. Don't worry if it is not perfectly equal in thickness- this gives it some crispy and some fluffy sections!
8. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a small frypan. Add a tiny piece of dough to the pan- when it starts to bubble the oil is ready
9. Cook each pizza in the oil for about 1 min on each side. It will be ready to flip when the dough bubbles and is golden brown on the under side
10. Let the pizza rest on paper towel to soak up the extra oil. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy fresh and warm!
Nutrition Information (per pizze fritte- 95g)
- Energy: 1200kJ
- Protein: 7.2g
- Fat: 7.6g (Saturated fat 1.2g)
- Carbohydrates: 45.5g (Sugars 0.0g)
- Sodium: 240mg