- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 2tbs dried active baking yeast
- 500g plain 00 italian flour
- 125ml warm milk
- 125g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup currents
- 1/2 cup mixed peel
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- Milk, extra
1. In a small bowl, pour in warm water and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of yeast on it. Let stand until the yeast has dissolved. Stir in 60g of the flour, cover with cling film, and let stand 30 minutes, or until doubled.
2. Sprinkle the remaining yeast over the warm milk. Let it stand until dissolved. Beat together sugar, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in milk-yeast mixture.
3. Add the yeast dough to the mixture, stir to combine. Combine the butter and remaining flour with fingertips until crumbly, and add to the mixture.
4. Stir mixture to combine, then stir in in fruit and zests.
5. Turn dough into oiled bowl, cover with cling film, and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 2 to 3 hours. Once risen, knead the air out of the dough then put it in a springform tin. Brush the top with milk.
6. Bake in a fan forced oven at 180C for 30-40 minutes, until browned on top and a skewer comes out clean. Serve warm or cooled.
Nutritional Information (serves 12)
- Energy: 1560kJ
- Protein: 8.1g
- Fat: 13.8g (Saturated fat 7.9g)
- Carbohydrates: 52.5g (Sugars 22.6g)
- Sodium: 76mg