- 2L whole/full cream milk
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the milk, cream and salt. On a medium- high heat, slowly bring it to the boil until it is ALMOST boiling- the top should foamy with small bubbles. This should take approximately 15 minutes
2. Once almost boiling, add the white vinegar and stir gently to only just combine the vinegar in to the milk- do not over stir
3. Turn the heat down and simmer for 2 minutes. Then turn the heat off and allow the ricotta to stand for an additional 10 minutes, for the whey to seperate from the curds
4. Line a sieve with a cheesecloth (I did not do this and lost some of my ricotta) and pour the mixture through the sieve.
5. Leave the ricotta for up to an hour for the liquid to drain through. You can enjoy the ricotta fresh immediately, or keep it in an airtight container for a few days refrigerated
What's the story?