Cypriot Grain Salad
(Recipe modified from Melbourne's Hellenic Republic’s recipe, due to availability of some ingredients in the outback)
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 1/2 cup currants
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded, to serve
- 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
1. Blanch buckwheat and lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked. Drain well and allow to cool.
2. Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, buckwheat, lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well.
4. Place into serving dish and top with cumin yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.
Nutritional Information (serves 8, 100g serves)
- Energy: 808kJ
- Protein: 5.9g
- Fat: 6.6g (Saturated fat 1.7g)
- Carbohydrates: 24.9g (Sugars 10.9g)
- Sodium: 43mg